Socially engaging work
“What is feminism? Simply the belief that women should be as free as men, however nuts, dim, deluded, badly dressed, fat, receding, lazy and smug they might be.
Are you a feminist? Hahaha. Of course you are.”
Caitlin Moran. (2012).
“how she appears to men, is of crucial importance for what is normally thought of as the success of her life”
“I don’t want art that points at a thing, I want art that is a thing”
I am a feminist because I am fierce, strong, emotional, feminine, and ambitious, there is inspiration that I want to spread and use to fuel other women who perhaps are under confident. There is an out dated view “to be born a women is to be born … into the keeping of men” Berger (1973) and I believe that in order to achieve equality women need to put themselves forward into new and exciting realms.
The task to consider
Considering mediums such as new media, paint, sculpture, print, literature (poetry) and everything else in between, I would like you to choose a question to answer in the most creative, innovative and appropriate way (you can amalgamate questions together if you’d like):
1. Think about your personal experience of feminism. Have you experienced any negativity due to your gender?
2. What is Feminism?
3. If you are a feminist, why? If you aren’t why not?
4. Should art be only a personal journey?
5. Is studying art selfish?
6. Does the artist or the viewer complete a piece of artwork?
7. Is equality still an issue in the western world today?
8. How equal is equality?
9. How important are male’s involvement and support in the progression of 21st century feminist movements in different cultures?
10. How can positive steps of progression into a feminist revolution be made/ bettered from the current position of this modern world?