Every waking minuet we are bombarded with sensory information, much of which we learn to filter out and ignore. These instructions require tuning in to a specific piece of information in the form of sound.
1. Once a day for five consecutive days listen to this sound file https://soundcloud.com/darren-obrien-6/nwt-1?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email in its entirety without pausing.
2. Ensure that you listen with headphones and block out any external stimuli by placing yourself, alone, in a quiet dark (preferably blacked out) room.
3. Keep your eyes closed for the duration of the listening.
4. Try where possible to listen to the recording at the same time each day to introduce a sense of ritual.
5. Immediately following the last listening make a response to the ‘experience’.
You can respond in any way using any media but the work must conform to a strict timeframe, i.e. the duration of the sound-clip <3m37s>.
For example, if the response is a drawing, painting or construction then the act of drawing can take no longer that the duration of the clip and should be undertaken without pause.
If the response is a performance, video or audio file then this should match the time and you could if you like use the sound file as a backing to a video piece but it should not be edited in any way.
Enjoy – looking forward to catching up on the 28th.
PS please test the sound clip and let me know if it works or if you need it in a different format.